Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Veselka


My favorite movie about New York City before I moved east was definitely Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. A quintessential coming-of-age movie that is as much about the city as it is about the characters. The perspective of the shots, how New York looks from the inside of a taxi cab or conversations on a sidewalk with endless people passing by, make the city as much a character as Kat Dennings or Michael Cera.

The city gives the characters a whooping before all conflicts come to a resolution... where? Veselka Restaurant (where the story was originally penned) on the corner of 9th and 2nd. This eastern European diner, open 24 hours a day, is cranking out great breakfast foods as well as Ukrainian specialties like pierogis and borscht. 

On my visit, I obviously had to get what Norah got! "Another meat plate! Keep them coming!"

MEAT PLATE $13.95 - 2 Meat, 2 Potato Pierogi; 1 Meat Stuffed Cabbage w/ sour cream, beet & horseradish salad, caramelized onions

The meat plate was very delicious, especially after a late night. Meaty stuffed cabbage and pierogis smothered in sour cream, spicy beet spread and caramelized onions really hit the spot on a late sunday breakfast. While everyone around us enjoyed french toast and pancakes, three messy haired smudged eyed girls stuffed their face with protein, carbs, and cream.

 Matzoh Ball Soup & Ukrainian Borscht

Each plate comes with salad and soup; I had the borscht because of my obsession with beets. No brainer in my opinion. My friend had the matzoh ball soup which I thought wasn't as good as Katz's Delicatessen matzoh ball soup but still tasty. Veselka and another famous greasy diner, Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop in the Flatiron district, both use chicken stock as the base to their matzoh ball soup. Katz's uses a darker beef stock I believe. I prefer the heavy stock with my fluffy light matzoh balls.




No comments:

Post a Comment